Driving in France, International Driving Permit,  IDP
Car Rental and the IDP
Car rental companies ask only for your license to drive in your home country.  There are countries in Europe that do require by law that non Europeans carry the IDP, however.  
How scrupulously they enforce these laws is a question and often depends on the officers ability to read the language on your existing license.  It is best to carry the IDP, since it is easy to obtain and not expensive.
AAA, the American Automobile Association, has been sanctioned by the US Government to issue these Driving Permits and does so for $15.00 and two passport type photos that you provide or that they take at the time of application.
The permit is in many languages and will prove that you are licensed to drive in case you are stopped.  
International Driver's License, required or Not
When Driving in France, non-Europeans need to carry only their drivers license from the home country; they do not need the International Driving Permit or  IDP.
The car rental agencies will not ask for the the International Driving Permit and it is not needed to rent an auto in Europe for drivers from the US and Canada.  
In France, the  International
Driving Permit, though not
required, could be helpful
if you will drive in remote
An exit sign showing the route number of the feeder road with the towns listed.  The speed limit is listed on a white sign with a red circle: 90 KM per hour or about 56 miles per
Car Rental agencies will rent without the International Driving Permit but in countries other than France you are safer to have one
Standard shift rental will be the least expensive but require skill in the hillside villages.
Driving in France is done on the right side and is  similar to the USA, Canada, and Mexico
Highway Driving in France differs little from US, Canada, and Mexico
In Canada, the CAA issues the International driving Permit.
While driving in Europe you should have both the IDP and your drivers license with you.
Driving in France does not require the International Driving Permit ,  IDP.
The International Driving Permit  or IDP is not needed to rent an auto in France but Driving in Italy Spain, Portugal, and in the former Soviet Union countries will require the IDP.
Return the rental car with an empty tank?  See Policy details
The web offers selection, price, and ease of booking.  Shop online well ahead of your trip and choose diesel or gas, luggage space, standard or automatic, two door, four door and other options.  Reserve extras such as baby seats, strollers, telephones.
Speed limits will be clearly marked and the Rotary will be a welcome site with its directions to various towns.  Gassing up is similar to US with credit card and automatic shut-off at modern pumps. Car rental are available in all large cities and at many TGV Train Stations.
Information for those renting a vehicle in France and Italy
Shop Arles Hotels from $60 USD
Shop Aix-en-Provence  Hotels
Photos and reviews   from $60 USD
Non-EU drivers in France do not need the IDP
Follow Us On Facebook
We Like And Follow Back

To bookmark this page
Press Ctrl + D
Follow Me on Pinterest
  If this page was helpful let us know with a G Plus.                                             See travel photos on GPlus